Sunday, October 2, 2011

Tour d'Esprit 24 Hour Race

Every year I try to include "the Tour" as part of my marathon training because I can get a lot of miles in and visit with so many friends along the way.  When you arrive, you get your timing chip, strap it around your ankle and circle the same mile that is part paved, part trail as many times as you want in 24 hours.
There are walkers, speedsters, and teams who are all there to support the cause.  No pressure from the dreaded clock like other races, just you and the mile loop doing whatever distance or pace feels good.  You are never alone out there at any time so if you want conversation or just to zone out with your ipod, there is something for everyone.  When you have marathon training miles to get in, there is no worries of restrooms, water stations, and routes. All of that is there on the mile, you just have to show up.
One of my fondest memories of the tour was when I did 55 miles talking/running/walking with a friend from a running group I had just joined. Karen and I got to know each other well and it solidified my relationship with the Gazelles Running Group, which I still train with to this day. 
There is something therapeutic about just lapping that mile over and over...no lap ever seems the same. What is said on the mile, stays on the mile.
This year was special because I ran with a friend that I know well.  We have put in many miles, side by side in the very early morning or evening depending on time of year and schedule. Julie did her first 18 miler, which is part of her St Jude Marathon training.  We used this opportunity to practice her fueling and running to the water table without stopping. We talked a lot about what it takes to do a Marathon and why you shouldn't even consider it if you are not committed to the training because it is more that just running miles. The brain has to be trained as well, which is sometimes the hardest part.  A lot of time was spent talking about St. Jude course and strategy for different miles of the race.  Each mile we ran was an opportunity to talk about why we do it and how much we love to run. 
She finished so strong and I couldn't have been prouder.
After Julie finished,  I had 3 more miles to get in and along the way ran into another running friend that kept me company for a mile or so.  The last mile was the only one on my own.  As I went up into the wooded area of the trail portion, I visualized Central Park and how I will run in strong, taking the hills with my tired legs and pushing them to keep going.   It made be realize how far I have come in my running and how it has changed more than my body along the way.  More than anything, it was a reminder of all the wonderful people I have met through the years and how awesome it is to see them every year at this event. I am already looking forward to next year!
Run Happy, my friends.

1 comment:

  1. Joy what an awesome story! I sure miss those days of running with you. My dream is to be able to run one more marathon one day. Keep posting and maybe it will inspire me to run through the pain and just do it! Runners are just special people!

    ReplyDelete